Chicken Sausage Rice… inspired by Paella!Paella is one of my favourite rice dishes... not only is it delicious, it is sort of a complete meal. At least the version that I make where I incorporate some vegetables into a mainly chicken and seafood dish. The other day when the craving for Paella hit me, I was in the midst of a project deadline and in no way able to spend the time to prepare it. Necessity is the mother of invention, right? I did come up with a dish which has chicken and sausages and resembled Paella enough to make my tummy happy. Win-win all the way! It is actually very simple... cook sausages and chicken separately. Chop some vegetables. Throw everything together along with some rice, and cook till done. Though I used hot Italian sausages, I think chorizo will be even better. Any vegetables that will not go mushy will work. As this was not a planned-in-advance dish, I used the red peppers I had in the refrigerator. And of course, onions and garlic. Celery adds some additional flavour to the dish, but can easily be omitted. The rice I used was regular long grained rice, but again, do you think Arborio rice would be better? Maybe next time I’ll try this dish with Arborio rice. And chorizos. Yeah, many ways to manage this dish with whatever ingredients you have handy!
Chicken Sausage Rice... inspired by Paella!
Recipe type: Dinner
- 2 lb skinless, boneless chicken, thighs and breasts mixed
- 1 lb sausages
- 1 large onion
- 2 ribs celery
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 2 cups rice, Arborio or long grain
- 1 large red pepper, or a mix of vegetables
- 1 can (12 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can chicken stock (can be made from cubes or substituted with water)
- Cooking oil, as required
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cut the chicken into pieces and mix with chilli powder, paprika, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt. Leave aside in the refrigerator to marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut the sausages into bite size pieces.
- Wash and drain the rice and leave aside.
- Chop the onions and celery roughly. Slice the garlic thinly.
- Cut the vegetables into bite size pieces.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tbsp oil and fry the sausages. Drain on paper towels.
- In the same pan, add another 2 tbsp of oil and brown the marinated chicken pieces on all sides. Keep aside.
- Add 2 more tbsp oil to the pan and add the onions, celery and garlic. Fry till they turn transparent.
- Add the drained rice and fry for two minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir together. Add the sausages and chicken pieces to the mixture. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and cover and cook for 15 minutes, checking after 10 minutes to see there is enough liquid in the dish. If not, add enough water to cook.
- When the rice is done, switch off the heat and let sit for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with a salad dressed with any creamy dressing. Quick and easy and delicious!