Chicken Sausage Rice... inspired by Paella!
Recipe type: Dinner
- 2 lb skinless, boneless chicken, thighs and breasts mixed
- 1 lb sausages
- 1 large onion
- 2 ribs celery
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 2 cups rice, Arborio or long grain
- 1 large red pepper, or a mix of vegetables
- 1 can (12 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can chicken stock (can be made from cubes or substituted with water)
- Cooking oil, as required
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cut the chicken into pieces and mix with chilli powder, paprika, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt. Leave aside in the refrigerator to marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut the sausages into bite size pieces.
- Wash and drain the rice and leave aside.
- Chop the onions and celery roughly. Slice the garlic thinly.
- Cut the vegetables into bite size pieces.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tbsp oil and fry the sausages. Drain on paper towels.
- In the same pan, add another 2 tbsp of oil and brown the marinated chicken pieces on all sides. Keep aside.
- Add 2 more tbsp oil to the pan and add the onions, celery and garlic. Fry till they turn transparent.
- Add the drained rice and fry for two minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir together. Add the sausages and chicken pieces to the mixture. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and cover and cook for 15 minutes, checking after 10 minutes to see there is enough liquid in the dish. If not, add enough water to cook.
- When the rice is done, switch off the heat and let sit for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with a salad dressed with any creamy dressing. Quick and easy and delicious!