While I was clearing my kitchen store cupboard I found a bag of marshmallows long forgotten. So I kept them aside and waited for my girls to come back from university for the holidays to make some rice crispy treats. I just wanted to bring back those fun filled days when we used to make these sorts of snacks quite often. My younger daughter was the one who insisted that I should go and get the recipe for rice crispy treats from a “big book” when she was in Year 2. They were learning “how to write instructions” as part of their literacy curriculum and she wanted me to make them for her right away.
According to Wikipedia, Rice Krispies Treats were invented in 1927 in the USA by Malitta Jensen and Mildred Day at the Kellogg company home economics department.
Rice Crispy Treats are a sweet snack made from rice cereals, melted butter and marshmallows. There are many variations to this treat – like replacing marshmallows with caramel or adding condensed milk to the mixture or adding chocolate chips, nuts etc. This is a snack equally liked by both children and adults and is so simple that even a novice can make
Care should be taken not to burn your palms when the mixture is being packed into the prepared tin. A silicone spatula can be used to do that.
- 40 grams Butter +1 tbsp to prepare the tin
- 150 grams Marshmallows
- 2 cups Crispy Rice Cereal
- Butter a 9 inch square baking tin.
- Heat the butter till it just melts in a thick bottomed pan.
- Stir in the marshmallows and heat till it’s melted.
- Remove from heat and add rice cereal and mix well.
- Transfer into the buttered pan and pack well using a spatula.
- Leave it to cool and cut into squares.
1 thought on “Rice Crispy Treats”
Pingback: Rice Crispy Treats | Pepper Route