Roasted Peach Cobbler
I could smell the peaches even before I entered the market stall. This was a local farmers’ market that was held one every week, during the warm weather months. What is great about it is that most of the stuff there has been picked the same morning. And it is so close to home that I make it habit to go there every week.
And the peaches were superb. Ripened on the tree, picked the same morning, bursting with fragrance and flavour. So I got a bunch of them. Would be perfect for a cobbler.
And peaches in a cobbler are at their best when they are roasted. Roasting brings out their sweetness makes them kind of soft. All you need to do is, toss the wedges of peaches with a bit of brown sugar and place them on a baking tray, under the broiler for 15 minutes. They become glazed and so glossy.
Isn’t the best part of a cobbler the crumbly top? And I decided to add a bit of interest to the crumb by adding some almond meal to the mix. It turned out a good idea indeed.
Roasted peaches in a baking dish with a splash of vanilla and lemon juice…
Top it with a generous amount of crumb mix and pop it in the oven.
And the most awesome peach cobbler will come out in about 20 minutes. Not really. Actually, you have to open the oven and take it out yourself. 🙂
Enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 8 peaches
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp cold butter
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Cut the peaches into ½ inch wedges.
- In a bowl, toss the fruit with the brown sugar.
- Place in a single layer on a baking tray and place on the top rack of the oven.
- Let it roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, almond meal and granulated sugar.
- Cut the cold butter into pieces and drop into the flour mix.
- With your fingers, blend the butter into the mix till the whole thing resembles large crumbs.
- Mix the roasted fruit with vanilla essence and lemon juice.
- Evenly place in a pie pan or square baking dish.
- Sprinkle the prepared crumb on top of the fruit.
- Place in the middle rack of the pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Check whether the top is showing golden brown spots. If not, continue baking for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream. A streak of peach nectar will be good too, strictly optional.