Green Apple and Potato Salad with Arugula and Goat Cheese
The name says it all… potato, green apple, arugula, goat cheese… what more could you ask for, in a salad? But there is still more… roasted walnuts and a tangy, spicy dressing to top it all! Honestly, this is one of the easiest and tastiest of salads that I have ever made or eaten!
Arugula is my favourite salad leaf. Not ‘one of’, but ‘the’! Sometimes I keep some in a dish and keep munching on the leaves as I go about my cooking. This lovely green with a peppery flavour is full of phytochemicals, anti-oxidants, vitamins, and minerals!
A simple lemon juice and olive oil dressing with a tiny bit of honey is kicked up with crushed cumin and a tiny pinch of red chili flakes. Shake together the lot, and the fabulous dressing is ready in two minutes!
It’s not a good idea to keep this salad for long – in or out of the refrigerator. So you should keep all the ingredients ready – even make the dressing – and assemble it just before serving.
- 4 medium sized red potatoes
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- ¾ cup goat cheese
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- Boil the potatoes in salted water, with the skin on and keep aside.
- Cut the apple into bite sized pieces.
- Dry roast the walnuts till they start to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, and honey.
- Crush the cumin coarsely and add to the dressing mix, along with the red chili flakes and mix thoroughly.
- Slice the boiled potatoes thickly and place on a salad platter.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the dressing on the potato slices.
- Add the apple pieces, arugula and goat cheese bits, adding some dressing after each layer.
- Toss the roasted walnuts on top and drizzle the remaining dressing over them.
- Serve the salad at room temperature. Yum!